Sunday 24 February 2013

Seismic activity in New Zealand


White Island alert level raised


24 Febraury, 2013

GNS Science says White Island has been emitting ash and the alert level has been raised.

The Volcanic Alert level was raised to 2 after craters vented ash on Saturday. The alert scale runs from 0 to 5.

The Bay of Plenty island has been deemed at risk of erupting since ash emissions and small eruptions began last August.

GNS Science said volcanologists will be monitoring the volcano closely.

Volcanologist Arthur Jolly said a flight will be made over the craters in the next few days.



4.8 quake follows spate of tremors in Hawke's Bay


23 February, 2013

An overnight spate of small earthquakes in northern Hawke's Bay has been followed by two sharper jolts on Saturday morning.

The strongest, of 4.8 magnitude, occurred at 7.21am, centred 40 km south-east of Wairoa and at a depth of 67 kilometres. It was followed about 10 minutes later by a 3.4 tremor.

Smaller quakes ranging from 1.8 to 3.3 were recorded overnight south or southwest of Wairoa at depths of five to 20 kilometres, and a similar swarm occurred in the same area on Friday evening.

A resident near Mahia Peninsula, Rill Meihana, said Saturday morning's quake shook the house for a few seconds and was strong enough to wake him.


GNS Science seismologist Caroline Little said there had been 200 reports from people in Gisborne, Hawke's Bay and Wellington who felt the 4.8 quake.
She expects more tremors will occur but said more often than not tremors in these swarms are of similar size and there is no larger earthquake.


Earthquakes in the world on February 22, 2013 (M4.5 or more) – Strong earthquake in Argentina





SRC
Location
UTC Date/time
M
D
INFORMATION
ER
I Felt A (not Listed) Strong Earthquake
Feb 22 23:59 PM
4.6
0
GEOFON
Eastern Siberia, Russia
Feb 22 23:32 PM
4.7
10
EMSC
Northeastern Sakha, Russia
Feb 22 23:32 PM
4.7
10
USGS
Northeastern Sakha, Russia
Feb 22 23:32 PM
4.8
14
EMSC
Santa Cruz Islands
Feb 22 22:22 PM
5.2
10
GEOFON
Santa Cruz Islands
Feb 22 22:22 PM
5.2
10
USGS
Santa Cruz Islands
Feb 22 22:22 PM
5.2
15
USGS
Southeast Of Easter Island
Feb 22 22:19 PM
4.6
10
EMSC
Southeast Of Easter Island
Feb 22 22:19 PM
4.6
10
EMSC
Southern Peru
Feb 22 21:50 PM
5.2
10
USGS
Southern Peru
Feb 22 21:50 PM
5.2
18
GEOFON
Southern Peru
Feb 22 21:50 PM
4.9
10
GEOFON
Southern Peru
Feb 22 21:01 PM
5.1
10
EMSC
Southern Peru
Feb 22 21:01 PM
5.3
10
USGS
Southern Peru
Feb 22 21:01 PM
5.3
10
GEOFON
Southern Peru
Feb 22 20:15 PM
4.9
10
EMSC
Southern Peru
Feb 22 20:15 PM
4.9
10
USGS
Southern Peru
Feb 22 20:15 PM
4.9
10
GEOFON
Off E. Coast Of N. Island, N.z.
Feb 22 18:21 PM
4.8
31
GEONET
Wairoa
Feb 22 18:21 PM
4.8
67
EMSC
Off E. Coast Of N. Island, N.z.
Feb 22 18:21 PM
5.3
20
USGS
Off The East Coast Of The North Island Of New
Feb 22 18:21 PM
5.4
22
EMSC
Mid-indian Ridge
Feb 22 16:25 PM
5.1
33
GEOFON
Mid Indian Ridge
Feb 22 16:25 PM
4.9
10
USGS
Indian Ocean Triple Junction
Feb 22 16:25 PM
5.1
10
GEOFON
Santa Cruz Islands
Feb 22 16:17 PM
4.9
10
EMSC
Santa Cruz Islands
Feb 22 16:17 PM
5.1
30
USGS
Santa Cruz Islands
Feb 22 16:17 PM
5.1
35
EMSC
Kep. Tanimbar Region, Indonesia
Feb 22 15:14 PM
4.9
20
GEOFON
Tanimbar Islands Reg., Indonesia
Feb 22 15:14 PM
4.9
10
USGS
Kepulauan Tanimbar, Indonesia
Feb 22 15:14 PM
4.9
10
USGS
Santiago Del Estero, Argentina
Feb 22 12:01 PM
6.1
585
EMSC
Santiago Del Estero, Argentina
Feb 22 12:01 PM
6.1
588
GEOFON
Santiago Del Estero Prov., Argentina
Feb 22 12:01 PM
6.1
571
GEOFON
Santa Cruz Islands Region
Feb 22 11:39 AM
5.0
10
EMSC
Santa Cruz Islands Region
Feb 22 11:39 AM
4.7
60
USGS
Santa Cruz Islands Region
Feb 22 11:39 AM
4.7
9
GEOFON
Eastern Siberia, Russia
Feb 22 09:31 AM
4.7
10
EMSC
Northeastern Sakha, Russia
Feb 22 09:31 AM
4.7
10
USGS
Northeastern Sakha, Russia
Feb 22 09:31 AM
4.7
15
USGS
Antofagasta, Chile
Feb 22 07:41 AM
4.7
125
EMSC
Antofagasta, Chile
Feb 22 07:41 AM
4.7
131
GEOFON
Chile-bolivia Border Region
Feb 22 07:41 AM
4.9
112
EMSC
Kepulauan Sangihe, Indonesia
Feb 22 06:52 AM
4.6
148
GEOFON
Talaud Islands, Indonesia
Feb 22 06:52 AM
4.6
148
GEOFON
Near Coast Of Southeastern China
Feb 22 03:34 AM
4.8
10
CENC
Guangdong Province, Heyuan City, China
Feb 22 03:34 AM
4.8
12
  • Hong Kong - Enough to create noises in the building.
  • Pune, India - I was in the office working in Night shifts and I felt some tremors, i checked with my colleagues and also felt it. It was very weak. Not sure if it was an earthquake.
  • Hong Kong - Sudden strong shaking
  • GuangDong, Donguan - lasted approx 10 seconds,Made feel little unbalanced when walking.
  • Shenzhen,CN - 2 tremors within 30 seconds of eachother
  • Dong Guan (China) - 3-4 Seconds shaking
  • Guangzhou, China - sitting on my bed, bed shook for about 5 seconds, my wife felt it too from a bed in another room and described it in three waves
  • Guangzhou - There was a mild shake of the highrise building that I a mat. Could clearly feel it on the 30th floor. Guangzhou / TianHe district.
  • Hong Kong - Sat on my sofa and felt the room move from side to side gently but in waves
  • Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou - It was rather unpleasant on the 3rd floor (called 4th floor locally in China and in the US). I'd say it was a shallow tremmor, as it was moving left-right (or to-fro) primarily. So it would not have been very deep, and probably a couple hundred kilometres away.
  • Meizhou - Felt the shaking between 5 to 6 seconds.
  • Hong Kong - Strong shaking lasting for about 3-5 seconds
  • jiangbei rd,huangjiang dongguan guangdon - im was sitting on my bed then i suddenly feel that im shaking then i saw my things also shaking i realized its an earquake..
  • Hong Kong - Felt the building sharply creak and immediately thought it could be a mild earthquake. Hong Kong Geological Survey
  • guangzhou - two different waves
  • Baiyun, Guangzhou - Building shook and shower screen rattled.
  • Tianhe, Guangzhou - Light shaking. 20th floor apartment, Zhu Jiang Xin Cheng
  • Foshan Shunde - tremor lasted about 30 seconds, The 6 floor apartment building shook and swayed.
  • Hong Kong - The shake triggered a little discussion in the office
  • Zengcheng - We felt the buildings shaking and the laptop was moving on the desk.
  • Dongguan - At first I just noticed my chair shaking, then my desk and then I realized it was the whole building. It probably lasted 5-10 seconds
  • Hong Kong - long slow shake - freaky
  • South China Business College,Baiyun dist - I was in my apartment (5th floor) in campus at South China Business College in Baiyun district. I was siting on my desk and the table, the chair and the window next to me shake. It lasted around 7 seconds.
  • guangzhou - Hardly felt in new buildings
  • Shangmeilin, Shenzhen, Guangdong, China - it started slowly, I thought it was my chair, but after a while everything was shaking but not for too long just a few seconds.
  • Shenzhen, Guangdong - bed shaking and windows rattling, 2 tremors close together
  • Shekou, China - my chair moved, the building (5 stories) shook, and windows creeked
  • Baiyun District, Guangzhou - I could not feel it from the east side of Baiyun Mountain (I'm on the 15th floor and part of a larger complex), but two friends in separate apartments felt it on the west side of the mountain.
  • Hong Kong, Fanling - I was doing exercises on a soft mattress and still felt the shaking. Ground floor. Hanged clothing (thick long coats) were shaking. None of the 3 young dogs outdoor bark. (Time I entered was rough estimate)
  • Hong Kong - desk shook in 15th storey building
  • Guangzhou - Mild shaking, 2-3 seconds in new office building in Zhujiang New Town.
  • guangzhou, guangdong - very scary
  • Hong Kong - the frames hanging on the wall were moving. the building rocked for few seconds.
  • Hong Kong - First thought I get dizzy, but saw then the curtains shaking.
  • Dongguan-Chang'an - Our office is in an eleven floor. I felt the floor moving and I ordered my coworkers to come out to the street. Very unpleasant feeling.
  • Huizhou - Just waking up so did not note exact time, but the whole room shook; a bit like a cruise ship starting up.
  • Dongguan - weak shaking a few seconds, aquarium fish screamed, I had to put the headphones.
  • Shekou - Sitting at my desk in a hotel room, I felt the desk and floor moving slightly from side to side.
  • Hong Kong, Kowloon, East Tsim Tsa Tsui - Delicate moving of the floor, back and forth, I was sitting at my desk, on 11/F, very short, my legs and ass moved with the floor. Nothing else happened.
  • Midlevels HK - Small but constant shaking for 1 minute.
  • Shantou, Guangdong - Felt movement of office chair and desk. Windows rattled.
  • Shenzhen, China - I was in bed and felt it shake two times. Very minor. My first earthquake experience.
  • Admiralty Pacific Place - felt the chair i am sitting on moving....
  • Dongcheng, Dongguan - 4-7 seconds gentle rolling. No noise at all
  • Yuen long - Was napping in my bed when I felt my bed shaking and heard noises. Went downstairs to ask my helpers if they felt it and then shortly after our tv and chandler were shaking and the ground was moving in rolling waves. I could see our plants (bamboos in water) trembling.
  • Kowloon - I thought it was building works making the building shake but checked it online and found it was not!
  • Panyu, GZ China - I never felt an earthquake before, it wasn't too strong but it was enough for me to feel a bit strange for the 3 to 6 second duration.
  • Bai gun guan yuan Zhong Lu - Seated on the sofa me and my son felt it ,light shaking three seconds
  • Foshan Guangdong - Sitting at desk, desk shaking, building shaking 9 6th Floor) Lights shaking, lasted only about 5 seconds,
  • Shenzhen, CN - Floor is shaking and loose items on the tables are sliding
  • Bao'an central - i was sitting on the sofa and felt the sofa swaying to sides for about 3 or 4 seconds. Also things on the table were shaking.
  • 2nd floor factory office, guangzhou - It happened while I was talking on phone. I thought someone pushed my chair from behind and turned my head to see who that fellow was. But there was no one and I understood it later that the "push" was caused by an earthquake nearby. So the Culprit...? was none other than the naughty restless earth itself...
  • Shamian Island, Huangsha, Guangzhou, Gua - I felt the building moving back and forth like a tree swaying in a wind. Nothing major, but after seeing a building nearby that collapsed into a sinkhole and being on the top floor (3rd story) of a very old building built on a sandbar (Shamian Island), it gave me some momentary concern.
  • Foshan, Guandong province - small swing, Thought I had low sugar level
  • Guangzhou - I was teaching on the sixth floor when the classroom shook for seceral seconds. Everyone went downstairs and class was stopped and the students got an early lunch.
  • Dongguan / Nangcheng - I felt everything shaking around me for some seconds.
  • Shekou, Shenzhen - Felt vibrations. Thought it was an earthquake, but only for a second. Decided it was the students during a class change. Silly, but didn't think about it again.
  • Aberdeen, HK - Was in my office at the edge of the building, went to ask my colleagues working in the middle of the building but they had not noticed...
EMSC
Guangdong, China
Feb 22 03:34 AM
4.6
10
EMSC
Eastern Uzbekistan
Feb 22 02:38 AM
4.6
2
  • Uzbekistan - Было средненькое землятресение. 2-3 секунды.
  • Ташкент - странный горизонтальный толчок юго западного направления
  • Ташкент - время ташкентское
  • Таш.обл. г.Янгиюль - сначала был гул, который приближался, затем легкий качек и сильное встряхивание - затрещали стены и окна. Разрушений нет
  • Tashkent - I felt it
  • Tashkent - Strange experience as have never felt one before
  • Mirobod - Sort of built up to it....started slow...thought it was a plane (I live near the airport) and then there was a rumble but more up and down rather than side to side. Whole thing lasted about 4 seconds.
  • Tashkent - Empty bottles on table shook, table shook. It felt like an underground subway had just passed under my house

Earthquakes occurred yesterday (UTC time), but today local time
Kyushu, Japan
Feb 21 19:59 PM
M 4.9
Depth 54 km



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.